Bread and Butter Pudding (6)
- 12 Thick Slices Bread
- Cinnamon Powder
- 300ml Double Cream
- 200/300ml Full-Fat Milk
- 2 Large free-range eggs + 1 yolk
- 25g/1oz Granulated Sugar
- Nutmeg, grated, to taste
- Vanilla Extract
- Grease a 1 litre/2 pint pie dish with butter. Cut the crusts off the bread. Spread each slice with on one side with butter, then cut into triangles.
- Arrange a layer of bread, buttered-side up, in the bottom of the dish, then add a layer of sultanas. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon, then repeat the layers of bread and sultanas, sprinkling with cinnamon, until you have used up all of the bread. Finish with a layer of bread, then set aside.
- Gently warm the milk and cream in a saucepan over a low heat to scalding point. Do not let it boil.
- Add a few drops of the vanilla extract.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, add 30g of sugar and lightly whisk until pale.
- Add the warm milk and cream mixture and stir well.
- Pour the custard over the prepared bread layers, sprinkle with nutmeg and the remaining sugar and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Place the dish into the oven and bake for 30–40 minutes, or until the custard has set and the top is golden brown.
BBC Food: Bread and Butter Pudding