Carrot Soup (5)
- 150g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Madras curry powder
- 300ml chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 500ml water
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, to serve
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and sweat the onion, garlic and carrots, with a pinch of salt, for 5-6 minutes, or until softened.
- Meanwhile toast the cumin seeds in a dry frying pan until fragrant. Add the toasted cumin seeds and Madras curry powder to the vegetables and cook a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock and 500ml water and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Blend the soup in a blender until smooth. Pass through a sieve into a clean saucepan and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup in serving bowls and sprinkle with chopped fresh coriander and paprika.