Cauliflower Cheese (5)
- 1 large cauliflower (leaves cut off), broken into pieces
- 500ml milk
- 4 tbsp flour
- paprika (optional)
- 50g butter
- 100g strong cheddar, grated
- 2-3 tbsp breadcrumbs, if you have them
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, then add the cauliflower and cook for 5 mins – lift out a piece to test, it should be cooked. Drain the cauliflower, then tip into an ovenproof dish.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C/gas 7
- Finely chop garlic
- Melt the butter over a medium heat
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the flour and stir to form a roux, add the mustard and cook for a few minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, a little at a time. Cook for 10-15 minutes to a thickened and smooth sauce.
- Turn off the heat, stir in most of the cheese and pour over the cauliflower.
- Scatter over the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Pop in the Cauliflower cheese and bake for 20 mins until bubbling.