Chicken Stock (5)
- 1kg chicken carcasses or wings
- 1 carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, skin on, cut into quarters
- 1 leek, cut into chunks
- 1 stick of celery, cut into chunks
- 1 garlic clove, bashed
- bouquet garni of 2 parsley stalks, 2 sprigs of thyme and 1 bay leaf, tied with string
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 clove
Method (from memory)
- Tip everything into a large saucepan with a pinch of salt then cover with 2 litres of water.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 3 hours, skimming when needed.
- Pass through a sieve into a jar
- Cool down by placing the jar in a bowl of cold water
- Will keep in the fridge for a week and for three months in the freezer.
BBC Good Food: Chicken stock