This is really a 5 when eaten straight away, going down to a 3 if re-heated
- 125g macaroni
- 20g butter
- 20g plain flour
- paprika (optional)
- nutmeg (optional)
- 300ml milk
- 120g grated cheddar
- 25g grated parmesan
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- Finely chop garlic
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a saucepan big enough to hold the macaroni.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the flour and stir to form a roux, add the mustard and cook for a few minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, a little at a time. Cook for 10-15 minutes to a thickened and smooth sauce.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to hot.
- Remove the sauce from the hob, add 80g of the cheese and stir until the cheese is well combined and melted.
- Add the macaroni to the sauce and mix well. Transfer to a deep suitably-sized ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheddar and the parmesan and place the dish under the hot grill. Cook until the cheese is browned and bubbling. Serve straightaway.