Chicken Marinated in Yoghurt and Spices
- 1.8kg chicken legs and thighs
- 4-6 large garlic cloves
- finely grated ginger
- Sea salt
- 3 Scotch Bonnet chilli peppers
- carton of plain low-fat yogurt
- 2-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander (did not use)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (did not use)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika (used smoked paprika instead)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Meat needs to marinate in yoghurt so prepare the night before.
- Add ginger, chillies, garlic and sea salt into pestle and grind into paste
- Stir into yoghurt, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add in the rest of the spices and the pepper
- Remove skin from chicken thighs, and deeply slash each piece of meat 3 or 4 times
- Coat meat with yoghurt mixture and refrigerate overnight
- (The next day) Heat oven to ~200 degrees
- Scrape some of the yoghurt mixture off the chicken
- Place chicken on grills and drizzle some olive oil onto the pieces
- Cook for an hour or so, turning the pieces every 20 minutes or so
Notes for next time
- Chillies didn’t really add anything. Find another way of making the chicken hot
- Perhaps lower the heat and cook longer?
- Grill the chicken towards the end of the cooking time?
- Garam Masala and Turmeric made it taste/smell too much like a curry. Use less Garam Masala or maybe leave out.